Emailing candidates with standard functionality
Workable partners with a trusted email service provider to deliver your emails to the candidates. This functionality works if you do not want to integrate your company's Gmail or Microsoft 365 Outlook account or use Microsoft Exchange or other email clients not supported via the integration.
Your name will be listed as the ‘sender’ on outgoing emails from your account.
The sender's email address is a unique email dropbox that will look something like <firstname.lastname@example.org>. This means that the candidate will know that the email is sent from you, but any response is routed back to your Workable account, and your external email address will not be revealed to the candidate.
By default, the subject line is generated automatically and displays the job title and company name ("Job Title - Company Name"). It can be edited upon activating the Gmail or Microsoft 365 Outlook Integration.
Instead of manually writing the email, you can use communication templates.
Add files to an email by clicking Upload file on the email form. The maximum file size for an attachment is 20MB. For larger files, we recommend including a shareable link in the email to a file-sharing platform (e.g., Google Drive, Dropbox).
Emailing candidates through email integrations
Receiving and replying to emails
When a candidate replies to an email you’ve sent through Workable, you’ll see a copy:
- on the candidate profile (under the Timeline and Communication tabs)
- in your own email account
You can respond to the candidate from either location.
If logged in to Workable, reply directly from the Timeline or Communication tabs by clicking on the candidate's email.
If you’re not logged in to Workable, save time by replying from your external email account (e.g. Gmail or Outlook). Workable will pick up the email as it’s sent and mask your email address if you are using our Standard Email Integration.
- What happens if a candidate sends an email after a job had been archived?
- The email will be imported on the candidate's timeline, even though the job is archived.
- Why can't I email uploaded candidates?
- Contact us to enable this option for your account. Once enabled you should not face this issue again.
- Who will receive notifications for email replies?
Followers of a candidate will receive notifications for email replies (if you are using our Standard integration) and other interactions.
Members of your hiring team will also be able to view the emails you send on the candidate’s profile, even if they are not included as a follower.
👉 Next steps:
- See our email & calendar integration comparison chart
- Have you set up your email signature to appear in every email sent via Workable?
- Have you set up your communication templates yet? Use automated actions to send communication templates based on specific actions that users take in Workable or the bulk email functionality.