Use automated actions to trigger emails or text messages based on specific actions that users take in Workable.
- Create a communication template that you want to have sent out automatically
- Go to Settings > Automated Actions
- Pick an automation template
- Set the triggers and timing for the automation
While Super Admins design and enable specific automations, any user who takes a given action can trigger the automation. See a full breakdown of user permissions for automated actions.
Types of automations
Thank you message: Triggered by a candidate applying to a job; won't be triggered for uploaded/sourced candidates (note: Workable automatically sends an application confirmation email to all applications, which is not possible to disable. This automation enables you to create a second, customized email or text message.)
Disqualification message: Triggered by disqualifying a candidate or for candidates who are automatically disqualified based on application form questions. As such we always recommend setting this type of automation to send with a delay.
Note: The automation setting for auto-disqualified candidates is optional and can be adjusted when you select the stage where the automation occurs.
Message template: Triggered by a user moving a candidate to a certain pipeline stage
Workable Video interview: Triggered by a user moving a candidate to a stage that contains a Workable Video Interview (note: the video interview itself will only be sent if a Workable video interview link is included in the email template.)
Workable Assessment: Triggered by a user moving a candidate to a stage that contains a Workable Assessment (note: the assessment itself will only be sent if a Workable assessment link is included in the email template.)
Self-schedule: Requires Gmail or Outlook calendar integration. Triggered by a user moving a candidate to a certain pipeline stage (the selected email template must include the "self-schedule link" placeholder and the selected user must have Gmail or Outlook connected.)
- While choosing the sender, the option “User that performs the action” won't be available here.
- As senders we will only display members (Admins as well as Hiring Managers and Recruiting Admins of the selected jobs) who have connected their calendars.
To automate interviews for multiple jobs with different interviewers, you can either create separate automations for each job/stage and add respective interviewers as automation senders or create automations by department if the same interviewers are involved in each department.
Video Interview: Only for 3rd party providers. Triggered by a user moving a candidate to a stage that contains a Video Interview from a 3rd party Video Interview provider.
Assessment: Only for 3rd party providers. Triggered by a user moving a candidate to a stage that contains an Assessment from a 3rd party Assessment provider.
These templates can be used multiple times. For example, you might send one version of a "Thank you message" for Engineering jobs and another "Thank you message" automation for Marketing jobs.
Designing an automation
Choose an automation template under your account settings to begin. Keep in mind that all automations (except for 3rd party Video Interview & Assessment) involve sending an email or text message template to candidates. Review your communication templates before saving the automation to ensure you've got the right information included. If needed, communication templates can also be updated after the automation is enabled.
When you've selected a template, click on the highlighted words to adjust how the automation should work. In this example, we're completing a "message template" automation.
- Select the job or department for which this automation should trigger
- Select the stage where the automation occurs. Choose multiple stages for the same automation if needed (for example, a Disqualification automation that should trigger for every stage). If you have multiple pipelines, you must select stages for each pipeline (for example, choosing the Phone Screen stage for an Internship pipeline and the Phone Screen stage for a Marketing Department pipeline)
- Choose the email or text message template to have sent
1. With the Language kit, the template sent will be in the job's language (if there is a translation).
2. For 3rd party Video Interview & Assessment, the email with the test link is sent from the provider so you will not be requested to provide an email template.
- Choose the sender (available for selection will be Admins as well as Hiring Managers and Recruiting Admins of the selected jobs)
- Set the timing for when the email is sent automatically (weekends are disabled by default)
"No reply" sender option
The "No reply" sender option (under the user placeholder) can be used to have the email sent from an address that will not accept replies from the candidate.
- Shows company as the sender
- Sent from a generic "no reply" email address generated by Workable
- If candidates do reply they are automatically notified that replies are not seen by anyone
- The sender will still become a follower of the candidate
Please note that:
- No-reply automations cannot be set up for text messages.
- No-reply emails will be sent normally to anonymized candidates, with their body obfuscated on the timeline and activity stream.
Setting the timing
When setting the timing for the automation, adjust the timeframe after which the email should be sent. Change the number of minutes/hours by clicking the highlighted text. We recommend setting a short delay so that you have the flexibility to cancel the automation for specific candidates if needed.
The "choose a time" option is best for sending automated emails at a specific time. Click on days of the week to disable automations on those days (e.g. you may not want to have emails sent on the weekend). Days marked in blue are when emails can be sent.
Editing or canceling an automation
Once you've saved the automation, it can be edited from the Automated actions tab.
- Flip the switch to disable or enable an automation
- Select the three dots to edit components (blue terms)
- If needed, adjust templates from Settings > Templates
When an automation triggers you'll see the details noted on the candidate's timeline.
If necessary, click the trash can icon to cancel the action. The cancellation will be noted on the timeline. Your hiring role will need to be Hiring Manager and above to perform the cancelation. It's not required to be the sender of an automation to cancel it.