If your company uses Gmail or Google Apps, you can connect them to Workable to sync communication with candidates and events you schedule in Workable to your and your coworkers’ Google Calendar.
This means you’ll be able to track all candidate communication on the candidate timeline, giving you a full record of events for reference.
Benefits of the Gmail/Google calendar integration
- Customize the subject line for all your emails
- CC your coworkers in emails to candidates (even if your coworker isn’t signed up to Workable)
- Reply to emails from candidates via your Gmail inbox. There’s no need to sign in to Workable, the conversation will still be synced into the candidate’s profile.
- Workable emails will be sent through your Gmail account, appearing under 'sent items' in your inbox
- Import all your existing communication into Workable:
- You can manually import conversations with candidates started in Gmail into the candidate’s profile so that all the information you need is gathered in one place. Just “expand” your candidate’s timeline and you’ll find the Import button at the bottom. After importing the conversation once, new messages in the same conversation will be automatically imported.
- Check availability of coworkers and rooms
- Include Google meet links on events
- Invite Workable users who are not on the hiring team to events
- Add coworkers who are not Workable users to events
- Customize the event title
- After scheduling events in Workable, you can update them directly in Google Calendar and the changes will sync back to Workable
- Use self-scheduling
Setting up the integration
Activate this integration for your account via the Settings > Integrations page of your Workable. An administrator only needs to do this one time for all users to have access to the feature.
- Locate the ‘Email and calendar integration’ section and select 'G Suite'
- Turn the Gmail and Google calendar switches to ON
- Save the changes
Switching integrations from Microsoft 365 Outlook to Google? Check the guide here.
Connecting individuals' accounts
With the connection enabled, when you or anyone else on your account try to email a candidate or schedule an event, they’ll be prompted to authenticate their own Google account for email and calendar. Click to ‘authenticate’ and you’ll see your account name and a request for access.
Alternatively, you can authenticate your Google account directly by clicking the below links:
Note: If you receive an error and are not able to complete the connection, you may need to contact the administrator of your organization's Google account. Your Google administrator can control which apps (like Workable) are able to be integrated.
When adding attendees you will have the option to invite 'external' guests. These could be co-workers outside of the hiring team, but working in your company, or people who do not work for the company at all. Enter their email address (or name for coworkers on your Gmail account) in the Attendees field to add them.
You will be able to view the availability of rooms and your co-workers. If someone already has something scheduled at that time, an orange outline will appear around the user/room icon.
Workable is only able to verify schedules connected to your organization’s Google account. It cannot see the candidate’s personal calendar or calendars of email addresses from another service (e.g. @hotmail.com). In this case the user will have a gray outline around their user icon.
To set up an event with the candidate via a Google meet link, mark the box in the event modal. The candidate will receive a link to access the Google meet call remotely.
To get a better view of attendees’ availability, click View in calendar next to the event date. You'll see a calendar view of coworkers and room availability. Adjust the attendees and room reservations on the left side of the screen or drag and drop the event to move it to another timeslot.
If you have a complicated event to arrange (possibly with multi-part interviews) you can select the “Day” viewing option in the upper left. This will show you the schedule of each person and room for that day (represented in columns).
Click Continue to confirm the change and you’ll return to the original scheduling form so that you can still review the details and make further adjustments before sending out invitations.
To adjust the calendar layout further, click the cog to the upper right of the calendar view. Change the start day for the week, the working hours and whether or not weekends are shown.
Updating an event
When you finalize the event and schedule it, invitations will be sent as normal and they will automatically appear in your coworkers’ calendars.
If necessary, the organizer of the event will be able to modify the event directly in their calendar. Updates to the title, date, time and RSVPs will sync back to Workable.
Disabling the integration
You can disable the integration for your entire account at any time by navigating to the Integrations section and flipping both Google switches to OFF. Save the changes and Workable will revert to the basic email option.
Note: If you have active events the system will prevent you from disabling. Contact us for assistance.