Workable Texting is a premium feature that can be used to communicate with candidates over text message. Using the primary phone number on the candidate's profile, send a text to that number through Workable.
When candidates reply to your text, you are notified through Inbox notifications in the Workable app and desktop site, as well as through updates on the candidate's Timeline. For each job posted, the sender number is randomly generated automatically by Workable (we are not using your personal number). The format of the number used to contact candidates is based on the job's location.
Sending a text
When viewing a candidate's profile:
- Click the text message button in the toolbar
- A messaging form will open on the right, where you can confirm the number at which the candidate will be texted
- Type your message (up to 1600 characters at a time) or select a communication template from the dropdown
- Click Send message when ready to send it immediately or click the split button to schedule it for a future date and time
Workable automatically generates a random number per job- based on the job's location - through which to contact the candidate. The candidate will receive the text as if it were a normal message; they can even add it as a contact on their phone.
|Rest of world
When the candidate replies, you will receive a notification through the Workable app and desktop site, and you can reply through your Workable Inbox. Updates to the conversation are always posted on the candidate's Timeline too and you can set the visibility level of the conversation to protect sensitive information.
Texting consent management
When candidates apply, there will be a tooltip under the Phone field letting them know that the hiring team may use this number to contact them.
If they add their phone number, the system will mark them as consenting to receive text messages.
Candidates can opt out of receiving texts by replying STOP, UNSUBSCRIBE, or CANCEL to your message.
If the candidates have been uploaded/sourced, we recommend asking them to provide their written consent over email before texting them. You'll be notified about their consent status if you attempt to send a text. If the candidate mentioned over email that it is alright to text them, click the link to enable text messaging for them.
Edit texting consent
Candidates' contact preference is always listed on their candidate profile, and texting can be disabled or enabled for a candidate as needed.
- Edit the candidate's profile (click the three dots icon > Edit Candidate)
- Locate the 'Contact preferences' section and click the pencil on the right
- Enable/disable the toggle accordingly
Not supported countries
The service may be unreliable for a few specific countries mainly due to limitations in the way telecommunication carriers handle text messages. These countries are:
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
FAQs and Troubleshooting
- Why wasn't my text message able to be delivered?
Check our troubleshooting guide for sending texts.
- Can we change the number that we send messages from to another number?
As the integration with our Texting provider stands now, changing the phone number is not possible.