The source of a candidate will be visible:
- In the list of qualified or disqualified candidates in a pipeline stage
- At the very bottom of a candidate's profile where you can also edit the source (where applicable)
- In the Candidate Breakdown report; just tick the 'Source' under Customize data
- In the Candidate Sources report (as a total number and not per candidate)
Candidates that have applied directly (via an external or internal application). Their profile contains information about the source that led them to the application form.
Most common sources:
- Internal applications: the source will be 'via internal application'
- Job Boards: the name of the job board will be visible e.g. via indeed.com
- Career site: candidates via your company's website career page
- workable.com: candidates via your Workable-hosted careers page
Note: The source we indicate on a candidate is from their first-ever visit to the application form. So, even if someone applied from, say, LinkedIn but in the past has opened the application form from your Workable careers page, we will show workable.com as the source.
All candidates that have been added via:
- Our sourcing tools (People Search, AI Recruiter, Resurface)
- Uploaded by team members manually, via the job mailbox or the API
- Copied from another job
- One or more of our sourcing partners
- Exported via LinkedIn Recruiter System Connect
- The Referrals portal; referred by your internal teams
Uploaded by a team member
If the candidate was uploaded by a team member, the member's name won't show as the source by default. The member's name will show only in the activities section of the candidate profile (Uploaded by [name]).
You can add a specific team member as a candidate source by editing the source section. This change will reflect in reports.
Uploaded by an external recruiter
If the candidate was uploaded by an external recruiter (either directly or through the job mailbox) the recruiters's name will show as the source of the candidate. The source cannot be changed if there are any activities on the candidate's timeline.
If the recruiter quits or does not have access anymore, we would suggest copying the candidate to another job and deleting the original one.
If the candidate was referred by your internal teams via the referrals portal the referrer's name will show as the source of the candidate. You won't be able to edit the source of a referral, in order to ensure that the candidate is always attributed to the original referrer.
Candidates who apply first and are referred later will retain the original application source on their profile.
Candidates that have arrived via an alternative route not covered above will be listed under the 'Other' category in the Candidate Sources report. Most common scenarios:
- Custom candidate sources with a UTM link
- Custom sources added manually for applied candidates
- Unknown sources where Workable was not able to track the original source for the application
A source marked as ‘Unknown’ is often associated with QR codes, mobile job sharing, and in general anything that the candidate may be doing that is unconventional such as visiting an http link from an https website, opening a link in a new tab, opening a link from a bookmark, a chat application such as Slack or using an incognito tab.