To search your candidate database, enter one or multiple terms in the search bar at the top of your Workable account or navigate to the Candidates tab. Search by name, or any term that can be matched to a candidate's profile, including previous job title, workplace or education. Tags can be searched with or without the # character.
Searches will return results if the keywords used are in any portion of the "Candidate Profile". For example, the resume file, work experience, skills, application form questions, keywords and so on.
Note: The system doesn't search through comments and custom fields.
Using search modifiers
To run a more advanced search with multiple terms you can use one or more of the supported operators:
- + signifies AND operation: can be used between search terms to ensure all terms are included in the results, e.g. java + php would ensure that all results include both terms, not just one or the other
- | signifies OR operation: the system will return results if one or both of the terms are found, e.g. java | php would yield results if at least one of the terms is found
- - signified NOT operation: can be used as a keyword prefix to exclude a term from the search e.g. java + - php will exclude the latter from the search
- " wraps a number of words to signify a phrase for searching: e.g. a search for software engineer will yield results for candidates with “software” or “engineer” in their profiles while "software engineer" will yield results that include that complete term
- * at the end of a term signifies a prefix query: e.g. the term Sen* will search for all words that start with Sen
- ( and ) signifies precedence when multiple operators are used: e.g. the search (php | java) + -html will ensure that the OR (|) operation in the parenthesis will take place first
Search by application form answer results:
- Number: Search for the complete question and answer in quotes, e.g. "How much notice do you need for your current position (in weeks)? 2"
- Yes/No: Search for the text of the question in quotes (only yields candidates who responded "Yes")
- Multiple choice: Search for the selected answer in quotes
- Paragraph: Search for a phrase in the answer in quotes
Filter your search
Refine your search results using filters including by job, tags, location, years of experience, evaluation, and more. In this example, we've searched for candidates with the term "software engineer" in their profiles. We've also filtered to only see candidates who are in our Senior Software Engineer job and have the tag #future_tech in their profiles.
Sort your results
Candidates will be by default sorted based on creation date (most recent first) unless you run a keyword search in which case they will be sorted based on relevance. You can change the sorting at your discretion based on your needs.
If you choose to view only disqualified candidates the sorting filter will be enriched with the option to sort by disqualification date.