UTM (urchin tracking module) links are commonly used to track the source of traffic to a web page. Based on the UTM parameters in a URL you're able to know where a person clicked on your link. This technique is commonly used by marketing teams, but can be applied for recruiters using Workable as well.
When you use a UTM link and a candidate clicks on it, the source of that UTM link will be tracked in Workable's Candidate Sources report. While Workable tracks most sources automatically, a UTM enables you to track sources with your own specifications. This is based utilized for custom advertising campaigns (like emails, paid online ads, forum posts, Slack) that are not directly integrated with Workable.
For example, if you're sending a newsletter or mass email that contains a link to apply to a job, then you could embed a UTM link to have Workable track how many people click and apply from that link.
To create a UTM link for a job you'll need to collect the following details:
- Subdomain: The first part of the URL you see when signed in to Workable, e.g. companyname.workable.com
- Shortcode: The code at the end of the job shortlink found under the Find Candidates page, a series of random letters and numbers
- Source: The source or campaign you want to track, e.g. facebook_campaign, Q1_Newsletter, Talent_Pool_Outreach
- Medium: Usually the format in which the link is shared, e.g. email, social. This is not directly tracked in Workable
- Write a URL in this format, replacing the bracketed terms:
The end result should look something like:
Candidates who click this link will be directed to the application form for the job and would be tracked in Workable's Candidate Source report under Other > Q1 Newsletter. While your custom source always appears in the report, the category it appears in will default to "Other" regardless of the medium specified.
If a candidate's first visit to the job's description and application was via a different source, they may not be tracked via the UTM link. For example, a candidate who finds your job on LinkedIn, clicks to apply and is taken to the Workable application form, will have their source noted as LinkedIn. If they subsequently click the UTM link they would not be tracked twice.