A great careers page drives candidates to apply, builds your recruiting brand and becomes a resource for prospects and candidates to learn not just about what you do, but what it's like to work at your company.
Looking for some inspiration to start designing your Advanced Careers Page? Check out some tips and examples to see where to get started. When you're ready to begin, navigate to the Careers Page settings in Workable and open the Advanced Careers Page builder.
Starting from scratch
You have a blank slate to start with. The only required sections for the page are the Header and Jobs sections. You can experiment with different color schemes and styles. Nothing will be published until the Publish button is clicked.
Focusing on the Header section is the best place to start.
Write a headline and description by clicking on the text. Even if you end up deleting or rewriting this part, it will be helpful for making font and text color choices.
Next, click the Edit button. Various customization options - which change for each section - will appear.
The most important thing to set up first is the Background. There are two options: a solid color or an image.
- Solid colors always scale well on all devices and screen sizes, they’re consistent and predictable. Pick a color that is part of your brand.
- Images bring your careers page to life. This works best with photos that have the main subject matter towards the right center. Abstract images (shapes, color blocks or patterns) are always a good choice and will scale well on mobile. Because images crop for different devices, avoid having important elements closer to the edge. PNG formats work best, and make sure the image is at least 1920 pixels wide. Check out sites like Unsplash for inspiration or see our FAQ for more help choosing an image.
When you've set a background, check the text color. Is it easy to read the text?
- Choose a text color that has good contrast with the background color or image. It should stand out clearly and be easy to read.
- Click the Styles button to adjust text colors.
- Edit the Header section to switch between your Styles choices for light or dark text.
- Adjust Styles to control fonts and colors for the whole page
- Use Edit to control the specifics of your Header section like background and text color choice
- Use your brand color if you choose to use a solid background color
- Make sure the text color is legible on the background
Did you know?
You can use photo editing tools to add a transparent gradient over the image to give it a sleeker look, or use an abstract image for the background. In these examples we've done just that, adding differently colored filters over images or using geometric shapes to create something abstract that stands out.
There's a big variety of section types to choose. Add in modular sections to showcase images, map office locations, share employee testimonials and more. Use these sections to create a sense of what being an employee is like and to help answer common questions prospective candidates will have. This can be as simple as writing a paragraph about what your organization does or what your mission statement or values are.
Hover between two sections and click the + button to select a new section to add. Sections can be moved around on the page any time, so don't worry about the order. See a full breakdown of section types.
The most successful careers pages have thorough Benefits sections. This is one of the first things that candidates look for. Benefits information can be a big factor in whether or not they apply.
We've designed optional icons that you can use. Choose a style that aligns with your main website's branding.
Other key sections to consider adding could include:
- Image with Text or Paragraph section that describes the company, product and/or workplace.
- Numbers section that highlights key facts about your organization like number of employees, number of offices, growth of business year-over-year...
- Testimonials from employees on different teams and at different career sections.
Use these and other sections to establish your careers page as a valuable resource and single source of truth for candidates.
- Add sections by hitting the + button. They can be reordered, edited and deleted at any time.
- A Benefits section is one of the most important things that candidates look for.
- Consider what common questions candidates have in phone screens and try to answer them on your page. E.g. questions about your products, customers, what regions you operate in...
Did you know?
You can think outside the box with section types. For example, if you like the Benefits template you could use to build a "Company Values" page component. Even though the name of the section template is Benefits you can use it however you want.
Preview and publish
While you build your page, you can choose the option to preview everything by clicking the Save & Preview button in the upper right.
You can browse through the full page and see versions for desktop, tablet and mobile. Everything is automatically designed to reformat depending on the device being used.
If you're looking for a second opinion from a coworker you can invite them to be a careers page editor. In Workable's Careers Page Settings, send invites. Coworkers who accept the invite will be able to log in to the page builder and preview or make changes. They won't have any other access to Workable data or settings.
Click Publish to set new changes live. If it's your first time publishing your Basic Careers Page will be replaced the new Advanced version you've just built.
- Preview your page before publishing changes
- Invite coworkers as page editors
- The page automatically reformats for tablet and mobile
Check out a few examples of pages that have been created with the Advanced Careers Page builder: