Best for: Pre-employment screening, criminal background checks, verifications, and drug testing
Regions: US, Canada
Features: Initiate a background check on a candidate and receive results in Workable
Verified First is an employment verification, background, and drug screening company. You can connect your Verified First account to Workable in order to initiate criminal history checks, motor vehicle reports, drug screening, and more from a candidate's profile. You'll receive the results on the candidate's timeline when the check is complete.
Setting up the integration
Via an API key
To integrate, start by contacting Verified First for an API key. Reach out to your account representative or drop an email to integrations@VerifiedFirst.com to request the API key for the integration with Workable. The Verified First team will send you the API key which is a long string of random letters and numbers.
With the API key in hand, sign in to Workable:
- Click your profile icon in the upper right and navigate to Integrations
- Locate Verified First in the list of background check integrations and click on it
- Add your API key to the field that appears
- Click Update settings
Via the VF Connector
Alternatively, you can download the Verified First Connector - an extension that simplifies Workable integration. You will need to have an account with Verified First in order to use the extension in Workable. To do so:
- Find "Verified First" in your browser's web store. Install and allow the browser extension. It's available on the most popular browsers - Chrome, Safari, Firefox, New Edge.
- Open the VF Connector and log in with your Verified First account.
- Now navigate to a candidate profile in Workable and click on the Verified First extension icon (in the upper right corner of your browser window)
A pop-up window will appear; click Allow for the additional permissions requested for this extension.
- Refresh your browser page and you should now see the "Screen with Verified First" button under all candidates eligible for a background check.
That's it! You will now be able to perform background checks and drug screening on your candidates with a few simple clicks.
Setting up cost codes
Navigate to your Settings > Workflow in Workable
Create a new custom field named Cost Code
Set the provider as the User
Set the field type as Dropdown type
Set as enabled for all jobs
- Copy and paste your Cost Codes from Verified First to the answer choices;❗the available cost code options should match those present in your Verified First account.
- Save your changes
Before requesting a background check for a candidate, you will need to fill in this Cost Code field.
Using the integration
Depending on your setup process:
- Via an API key: Run a check via the related action in the toolbar
- Via the VF Connector: Run a check via the "Screen with Verified First" button that will appear after the extension is enabled.
After a background check is completed, you will be notified, and the candidate's timeline will be updated with a link to Verified First, where you can log in and view the results.
Check out our webinar with Verified First on best practices for background screening that will speed up and simplify your screening process!
- Who can request a Verified First background check and view the results?
- Only Admins, Recruiting Admins, and Hiring Managers can request a background check and view the results.