It is crucial to let the candidate know that a successful background check is a pre-condition of their employment.
Important: You must explicitly state that any information found will be considered when making the final hiring decision. Please make sure the candidate knows that the process will not go ahead without their written consent.
The only information your company needs from the candidate is their first name, last name and email address. Additional information will be requested when the candidate is emailed for consent.
If you’d like to prepare the candidate in advance of the request, the information required of them is as follows:
- Signed consent form
- Current address
- Date of birth
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Driver license number & issuing state
Once you perform the background check, the candidate will receive, and must respond to, an email containing the following:
- An explanation that your company has hired Checkr, a screening company to perform a background check (this is called Written Disclosure)
- Confirmation that the background check is for employment purposes only
- Checkr’s name, address and contact information
- The document: “A Summary Of Your Rights Under The FCRA”
- A consent form, with information about the unique hiring laws of different states
- A unique link to provide consent digitally, and begin the process
The candidate has 6 days to consent to the background check.
When consent is given, you will receive a notification that the background check is in progress.
Should your candidate fail to give consent within 6 days, you will receive a notification that the background check has expired. You can request a new background check for the same candidate.
You will be notified when the background check is complete and the results will appear on the candidate's profile.