Super Admins with a Core account can refer to this guide when first implementing Workable or when reviewing account settings. See the Core Resource Hub for more info about account features.
We recommend implementing Workable in 3 main steps.
- Workflow: Set up a recruiting pipeline, compliance, job board connections and more. These account settings govern how the work of recruiting is done through Workable.
- Customization & Branding: Arrange a careers page, templates and more. These components impact how candidates see your brand and how hiring teams communicate.
- Start Recruiting: Create jobs and invite account members when you're ready to go live with Workable. The options here are used to roll out Workable and begin using it day-to-day.
This implementation guide does not cover every Workable feature. Your Account Manager can provide further guidance and support.
Each of these three main steps can be completed in just a few hours and each option can be activated independently at any time. If you need to start posting jobs immediately, we highly recommend completing the job board initialization steps at a minimum.
Starred features indicate critical components of Workable and their use is highly recommended.
These options control how the work of recruiting is done in Workable. These are the features to set up first in an account because they will guide the ways in which users can interact with Workable and how certain features and processes will function.
The Recruiting Pipeline is the workflow that your teams use to recruit. It has stages for the milestones in your recruiting process like Phone Screen, Assessment, Interview.
- All jobs will have the same recruiting pipeline. With this in mind, create an outline of the major milestones a candidate should pass. As a rule of thumb, plan a stage for each major moment where the candidate will be evaluated.
- Use generic names for stages like "Hiring Manager Interview" or "Skills Test". If do you want to add a specific stage for one type of job or department, you can! Candidates in other jobs can be skipped over that stage.
- A common pipeline setup looks like:
- Source/Applied, candidates enter the pipeline
- Phone Screen, a preliminary interview is conducted (alternatively this could be a one-way video interview)
- Assessment, a skill assessment relevant to the job is sent to the candidate
- Hiring Manager Interview, the candidate meets with the Hiring Manager and possibly other members of the manager's team
- Executive Interview, the candidate meets with someone from company leadership
- Offer, the candidate receives an offer
- Hired, the candidate has accepted the offer and the work of recruiting is done
Switch on GDPR compliance settings to enable the permanent deletion of candidate data. While Workable itself is GDPR compliant, you are responsible for maintaining compliance with the candidate you collect in your account.
- Enable the Right to Erasure option on the Compliance page.
- Plan to share a link to your privacy notice with candidates.
- Speak with your legal or executive team about your company's policy for handling personal data.
Activate via: Settings > Privacy
Privacy settings dictate the broad access that all user types should have for Talent Pool candidates, hired candidates, profile images and social media links. While specific user levels and permissions are managed under the Account Members settings, the Privacy settings have general data privacy options for the whole account.
- Restrict the Talent Pool to administrators only, so that Super Admins control these candidates.
- Restrict the visibility of timelines for hired candidates, so that new users can't look up feedback about themselves or coworkers.
- For social media links and profile photos, enable or disable as you prefer. Workable will only bring in links and photos from publicly available sources, which could also be found through manual searching.
Department settings impact the ways in which you can organize jobs, filter reports and manage other features. On your careers page, candidates can search your departments for jobs.
- Add departments based on your internal structure.
- Stick to using high-level departments name rather than specific teams. This will make it simpler for candidates to find the right type of job on your careers page.
Activate via: Settings > Integrations
Key integrations unlock more functionality in Workable and help to improve job post visibility. It is essential to review these options to ensure your job posts are able to be found easily by prospective candidates.
Additionally, Workable integrates with many other recruiting tools for things like background checks and HR systems.
- Perform job board initialization steps for Indeed/Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Facebook.
- Activate Gmail or Outlook for better calendar visibility and self-scheduling options.
- Review the Integrations settings page in your account to connect additional software and services you use to Workable.
Customization & Branding
This section covers options that will impact the various ways in which you'll communicate with candidates: From your career page, to interview questions, to offers and more.
Activate via: Settings > Careers Page
Various options are available for use in creating a careers page. We recommend building an Advanced Careers Page as it offers the most customizability without requiring significant web development work. API and embedded job widget options are also available. These are the best options for adding jobs directly on your own website, but require coding work from your web development team.
- Add editors for the Advanced Careers Page. These are usually people from your marketing or design teams.
- Create a page that has a Header section, 'About' section, Benefits section and Jobs section.
Activate via: Settings > Templates
Templates are available for almost all Workable users, but must be added by Super Admins.
- Interview Questions: These sets of questions can be added to pipeline stages. They guide interviewers and expand the evaluation form. A common interview question template might be called "Phone Screen Questionnaire" and include items that the screener should talk about with candidates at that stage.
- Communication (Email / Text): Add common types of message templates like "Thanks for applying" or "Disqualification". Communication templates are also incorporated into Automated Actions. If you want to automate an email you'll need to add it as a template first.
- E-signature: Create templates for the various documents that you need candidates to sign. See how offer letters work.
- Locations: The locations where interviews will occur. Shared and mapped for candidates with the option to get directions.
The Company Profile page is where you'll upload a logo and write a brief description about your company. The logo will appear in various places like application forms, confirmation emails and certain invitations.
- Upload a logo and social sharing image.
- Write a brief description of the company.
If you conduct hiring in multiple languages Language Kit options will translate aspects of the candidate experience. You can store templates and create application forms in different languages, as well as have candidate-facing tools like confirmation emails appear in a chosen language.
- Review the Settings > Company Profile page to translate the company description.
- Review the Settings > Templates page to translate templates.
- Review the Settings > Workflow page to translate custom fields.
This section covers the steps you should take when you're ready to have coworkers start using Workable and to have candidates apply.
Activate via: Dashboard > Create a new job
Full feature walkthrough: Creating a job
To get up and running quickly, we recommend creating jobs before inviting account members. You'll be able to get your jobs posted, start receiving applications and build hiring teams after the fact.
- Be sure you've completed the job board initialization steps before posting jobs.
- Create and publish jobs prior to inviting account members. This way, new members will have candidates waiting for them.
Account members & roll out
Activate via: Settings > Account Members
Account members are invited to Workable and assigned to particular jobs that they will help recruit for. While Super Admins can always see everything in an account, users with standard access can only see candidates for their assigned jobs.
- Invite Super Admins first. They'll have access to everything and can assist with any remaining setup options.
- When adding other users, assign them to relevant jobs that you've already created. This will make it easier for those users to get started.
- Review our permissions chart and guide for choosing user roles.
- Send an email to the company or to specific members to ensure coworkers know what Workable is and what they should use it for.
Create anonymous, optional surveys for candidates to fill in after they apply. These anonymous surveys can be used to measure diversity or ask other multiple choice questions that need not be included in the application form or be associated with specific candidates.